Re: [Roadsters] Brakes (was: FLAPS....was Slave Cylinder)

To: 'Datsun Roadster List' <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Brakes (was: FLAPS....was Slave Cylinder)
From: Jerry Krakauer <jsk977@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 17:34:44 -0400
Sender: datsun-roadsters-bounces@autox.team.net
Although I haven't driven my roadster since the mid 70's, I always thought
the brakes were very good in competition. The SCCA GCR's were much stricter
back then and there wasn't much you could change, other that the pads and
ducting for air. I used Ferodo DS11 racing pads and the Nissan competition
"green stuff" shoes in the rear.(although when cold you had a better chance
of stopping using your leg out the door!) Back then it was common for light
weight imports to use discs without power assist, and yes pedal pressure was
higher than we are used to today, but not that excessive. As a matter of
fact, the lack of sensitivity made it easier to heal and toe. I don't recall
ever having appreciable fade in a race although I did lose the brakes once
by boiling the fluid. BTW, the Dunlop/Sumitomo calipers are the same model
used on the series 1 XKE, with a 1/8" smaller bore, the pads are
interchangeable.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311 00099