Re: [Roadsters] FLAPS....was Slave Cylinder

To: "Dewey Hahlbohm" <hahlbohmd@earthlink.net>, "Larry Dziuba" <roadster68@shaw.ca>, "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] FLAPS....was Slave Cylinder
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 23:41:11 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=att.net; s=s1024; t=1336538460; bh=IgfuZjUHZef278aH9mK0WwassxLoHj6Og2NAe86FYyM=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=QeEjMa00zT/cyx/Vv/KF60I2A+twtQpWhTsuo3ZV6ZLkGtDzZJZvvu/SHestW3WZefQHG+MgghrOWKESq6OtMqVi+TH/H8s0PW9TbyoVtH2F83sny6SitwbXV9pb12jlB8s6hW6OMh+oqMSb0daS1iXudoniBSTBzll3/n0zoeo=
Sender: datsun-roadsters-bounces@autox.team.net
I always found the braking on my '66 roadster to be more than adequate -- as long as I "stood" on the pedal. The pedal effort has always been very high, owing to the absence of a vacuum booster with the disc brakes. Yhe braking effort on my '67-1/2 2000, with its dual circuit, is not as good, but I have not had the ambition to fool with it.

Gary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dewey Hahlbohm" <hahlbohmd@earthlink.net> To: "Larry Dziuba" <roadster68@shaw.ca>; "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 5:12 PM

I know there have been prior posts on this topic, including discussion of bench-bleeding (not sure what that means though).

I too have been sorely disappointed in the braking capability of my roadster. I have been able to improve this somewhat with a combination of speed bleeders, stainless steel brake lines, replacing the rear wheel cylinders, new master cylinder, and aggressive bleeding of the master cylinder. My latest effort was replacing the rotors and the pedal feels quite firm. I have to reinstall the rebuilt engine before I can test out this latest improvement, hoping to do that before the end of May.

I have a friend who put Wilwood brakes on his 240Z and said it made a huge improvement in his car. That may be my next step if I am still not satisfied with the present set-up. Good luck, Dewey