Re: [Roadsters] is this a Roadster part?

To: "Tim" <tputland@charter.net>, "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] is this a Roadster part?
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 20:05:44 -0500
Tim,

The short answer is "No, it isn't a roadster part".  But it is a NABCO M/C,
has been used on roadsters, and thus appears to be somewhat interchangeable.
Knowing the seller to be a thoroughly honest individual, I am confident the
part was removed from a roadster.

There was one on my '67-1/2 when I first got the car.  It turns out there
wasn't enough stroke length to operate the clutch properly, but I suspect
that was just a result of the operating rod not being set long enough.
Since I could not figure out how to adjust the operating rod with the M/C in
the car, in the wee hours before our last weekend run together, I replaced
that M/C with a factory part, and solved my problem.  (I wasn't about to
simply adjust the operating rod to the same length as the factory part,
which has a solid, non-adjustable operating rod, and take a chance the rod
length wasn't the only problem.)  Note that the outlet boss is in a
different position, so the line to the slave cylinder must be bent to make
it work.

Since it is different from the OEM configuration, which has the reservoir
set closed to the firewall, I would not use one in one of my cars again.
Might work fine, and even the one I had might have worked all right if the
operating rod were the proper length.  But, it is a lot of work getting an
M/C into and out of the car, so I won't take the chance.

Gary