Re: [Roadsters] 1600 exhaust questions

To: Ken & Tammy Williams <wilhouse@charter.net>, oliver
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 1600 exhaust questions
From: Gary and Cindy Ault <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 10:35:16 -0800 (PST)
Ken,

The resonator is nothing more than a glass-pack muffler.  On the
late-style version with the megaphone tip, it is straight through with very
little reduction in pipe internal diameter and no baffles.  Also, the
later-style exhaust places the muffler behind the driver's seat, instead of
within the "X" of the crossmember, which was directly under the seat.  A
straight pipe replaces the muffler.

You can use basically any
straight-through glass-pack you want as a resonator, as long as you match the
pipe diameter to minimize installation problems.  There are varieties with
chrome tips which look nice.  I am not sure what I have on my '67-1/2, but it
isn't stock.  Your local speed shop (probably not Midas, etc.) should be able
to install (or sell you) something appropriate.

Gary