Re: [Roadsters] Second Posting

To: E Scanlon <escanlon@wa-net.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Second Posting
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:52:17 -0500
> When my mechanic replaced an engine into one of my Z's, the engine was
> "sticky" and would NOT turn over at all.
>
> He injected some ATF into each of the cylinders and let it sit for a couple
> of days. Then with a 1/2" ratchet and socket on the main crank nut, he
tried
> to turn the engine over in one direction, then the other. B He'd do this
> several times, then would push it in one direction and let it sit. B This
> went on for a couple of days and slowly but surely he got the engine to
> begin turning over.
>
> The end result is that he was able to finally get the engine to turn over
> completely with the ratchet. B He mounted the engine and electricals and
> started her right up.
>
> I'm not sure if there was any scoring or damage to the engine, but it
> doesn't burn oil, nor other problems.
>
> It might not be the "perfect" fix, but a complete engine swap for $500
> ending up with a running car, can't be beat.

I may be a bit paranoid, but if an engine's frozen, there's a reason
and I think you're always wise to find the reason and fix it. This is
especially true for the R and U series motors that are becoming more
scarce by the day and the L-4 and L-6 motors aren't far behind.

I mean, is it more costly to disassemble and clean the engine up now,
or take a chance on scoring bearings and cylinder walls, which may
render the engine useless later?

Just Sayin',
Ron