Re: [Roadsters] Second Posting

To: Datsun roadster <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Second Posting
From: Jim Gammon <gtpjimgammon@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:44:41 -0700 (PDT)
The pistons are likely frozen in the cylinders. Even if you got it free, the
rings will likely be shot (frozen) and never seal properly. There may be more
damage also. Rust on cylinder walls is bad news. With a lot of luck, you may
be able to just replace the rings and "break the ridge" with a light hone and
a hand held power drill.

But allow it to sit with kroil, kerosene, liquid wrench or whatever in it, and
wait.

If you pull the head, tap on the piston tops, but don't crack them. I'd use a
hard rubber or wooden block to keep the contact spread out, the pistons may
crack from a hammer blow. Mine came loose, but the bores were lousy.

Many other problems can be present, mine had gotten some water (a few drops)
into a bearing and I had to not only bore out the engine .020, but regrind the
crank. When I was done, I had spent over $2,500 on the engine alone, and did
almost all the work myself. I don't have the equipment of an engine shop, but
I can swing a wrench. I even put in all new valves, valve guides and seals,
main bearings and jackshaft bearings and pistons. The con rods were OK. It is
practically a new engine.

God, but I was relieved when it ran right, finally, I was worried I may have
done some little thing wrong....

Whatever you do, don't use a half-assed carb rebuild shop, I made that mistake
and it cost me 3 months. Use Keith, on this list, or Z Therapy (Keith is
cheaper, I learned too late....)

But she runs like new now.

JimG
NJ 2k '69