Re: [Roadsters] Question: Alternator Removal from Driver Side

To: datsundawg@sc.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Question: Alternator Removal from Driver Side
From: Dave Cooke <cookefam314@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 07:10:52 -0500
David,     I just did an alternator swap 2 weeks ago on my 68 1600. It was
fairly easy to do. I too thought it would be difficult to get to the lower
bolt without removing a bunch of stuff. Here's how I did it. I removed the
hood & front grill, then removed the radiator shroud. This is where I did a
little extra work...I then removed the entire radiator, it came out in 5
minutes, very easy. Then removed the fan blade. This gave me extremely easy
access to the lower alternator bolt. I had the thing out in a few minutes. I
later learned from a post on this e-mail forum that removing the radiator is
unnesessary, just remove the fan shroud & the fan blade to gain access to
the lower bolt. Oh well, removing the radiatior gave me a chance to further
understand the workings of my car & boosted my confidence in my mechanical
abilities. I'm by no means a mechanic, but I consider myself mechanical.
     Anyways, good luck, I  think this is an easy project for any roadster
owner to do themselves. Oh, and removing the water pump is not required at
all.

I snapped a few photos as I was doing the project, let me know if you want
them & I'll post them for you.

-Dave Cooke
Midwest Roadsters

--