Re: [Roadsters] Changing transmission fluid

To: Scott McGillivray <scottmcg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Changing transmission fluid
From: Patti Dwinell <fairlady1964spl310@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 20:23:37 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, Scott!
I just changed mine yesterday, and I'd never done it before either!
To my knowledge, only the 1500 roadster trannys (like mine) had dip sticks.
The "newer" models, I believe, are filled to the bottom of the fill hole on
the side of your transmission;  just like on the differencial.
I'm sure someone will respond to you with better details, but it is pretty
easy...remove bottom drain plug...while oil is draining, clean metal shavings
from magnet on
plug....reinstall plug...remove fill plug...fill with 80/90 wt
gear oil.  My 1500 specs say 4.6 pts.  I used 4 1/2 pts, and it was too full.
I had to siphon out 1/2 pt.  My suggestions:  stop short and don't overfill.
Take it for a 15 minute drive to get it hot and then check your level.  It is
a lot easier to add a little oil rather than to remove a little of the stinky
stuff.
You'll do fine, I'm sure.
Patti