Re: [Roadsters] Question on Engine Rebuild

To: oscilloscope500@yahoo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Question on Engine Rebuild
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:30:39 EDT
In a message dated 3/21/2008 11:23:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
oscilloscope500@yahoo.com writes:

Is there  anything wrong with rebuilding an engine that doesn't desparately
need it? Any  negatives? I was thinking that with the running engine, maybe I
could add a  hotter cam and maybe a couple of other things (headers, exhaust)
to boost  performance without going the whole stroker route right now (all my
money is  currently tied up in an extensive house remodel - so long, car paint
fund).  Any other ideas on performance mods I can make that aren't too
extensive and  expensive to take car of while I'm at it? What kind of HP growth
can I
expect  from any of these?

Rebuilding one that is still intact has benefits. Chances are the head is
straight saving that expense. You don't have to deal with spun bearings, gouged

cylinders, broken timing chains, burnt valves, and such things. It should be
more learning about rebuilding the engine and less in disaster recovery. The
less time you spend on fixing broke things the more you spend on fast things.
 The r16/u20 bottom end is good for 200hp if put together properly. Cylinder
head  porting and valve size are a big bottleneck on the r16. A cam,  valve
and port work should be the best bang for the buck. There is some  science to
port and valve sizing that is a bit more than I plan to cover here.

keith

Home.