Re: [Roadsters] Question on Engine Rebuild

To: "'roadster list'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Question on Engine Rebuild
From: "Joe Russo" <jrusso07@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 17:03:34 -0400
  On the other hand, if I rebuild the sitting 5-main, I will have a good
engine that I could also do performance mods to if I wanted. I could always
hold the engine as a spare, sell it (how much?), put it in my runner, or
keep it in the original car and plan on finishing that project MUCH later.

Matt - I have a similar dilemma. I have (2) running roadsters with U20s.
Each, with unknown actual mileage. One has shimmed upper chain tensioner to
address the evil-L death rattle (for now) (Thanks Gordon).  I have a R16
sitting on a stand and a spare U20 with 40K miles on a stand...

My plan (although start date is undetermined) is to rebuild both of the out
of car engines (as a hobby), clean and paint them, rebuild, replace,
re-gasket everything that needs it and then swap them into the running cars.
I want to do it sooner than later because as we all know...U20 parts will
become extinct soon.

This approach also allows me to drive both cars without fear of breaking one
(or both) and does not but my engine building hobby on the critical path
toward enjoying my cars.

One car is a SPL and one is an SRL so the SPL with get its numbers matching
engine and 4 spd back. :-)

Joe