Re: [Roadsters] Ampmeter suggestion

To: "'dave'" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>, "'Datsun-Roadsters@Autox.
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Ampmeter suggestion
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:49:28 +1030
--===============0423036650==

Tend to disagree on the ammeter V voltmeter comment.
You can still insert the maxi fuse as mentioned, strongly recommend that!
The fuse is there to protect the wiring, it is therefore essential to be
rated correctly for the wire gauge used.
Also, fit the fuse at the alternator, so that the maximum length of wiring
is protected by it.
It is a series circuit true, and electrically it matters not where the fuse
is, but for maximum protection of the wiring, it should be at the start of
the run.
If you read the ammeter carefully it will tell you the state of the charging
system better than a voltmeter.
The ammeter, being a centre zero device, is very sensitive to current
direction as well as amount.
That is what you need to know.
Of course the two gauges fitted as a pair is an excellent solution.

"If it were me, unless you want to be absolutly stock, I would put a 30 or
40 amp fuse or breaker where the amp gauge was in the wire harness and
install a volt gauge.  Less hassle, more information."

7:31 PM