Re: [Roadsters] Ball joint removal, tool source?

To: "'Roadster List'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Ball joint removal, tool source?
From: "Bubba" <bubwin@mts.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:03:22 -0500
I know many of you are questioning the use of hammers to separate the ball
joint from the spindle over a pickle fork, or press.  I've never had a press,
nor used one in all my years as a fully licenced mechanic, and believe me, I
have spent enough on my tools (one very complete set for work, one complete
set for home, and a substantial set for the race car trailer.) to buy and
restore at least 5 or 6 roadsters.  While working as a mechanic, I was also
Provincially certified by the Government to conduct safety inspections on
everything from cars and light trucks to Highway Tractors, and buses.

I If you can get a press, by all means use it, but it's not necessary.  Here
are a couple reasons I never use a pickle fork on a ball joint I plan to
reuse, unless I have to.

If you use the wrong size, and damage the ball, the joint is done.
If you damage the taper, the joint is done.
Using a pickle fork puts vertical stress on the ball, and the cup. the
tolerance for movement in a joint in this direction is critical already, do
you want to stress it more if you plan on using the same, expensive to replace
ball joint?
Yes you do usually ruin the boot.

I'm also including a couple links showing the hammer procedure is an
acceptable one.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=211147&page=3

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_separate_the_control_arm_from_ball_join
t_without_the_special_puller