Re: [Roadsters] Ball joint removal, tool source?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Ball joint removal, tool source?
From: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
In the words of one of the old-time riggers at our launch test site, to a
younger coworker: "Don't use a hammer, man - use your head!"

Get the tool, do it right. Replacement parts for these babies do not grow on
trees.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA
'70 2000 SRL311-13291

Bubba <bubwin@mts.net> wrote: You don't usually need one if you have 2 good
sized hammers.  I use a 2 1/2
lb ball pien and a 4 pound drilling hammer (short handled sledge), but 2 of
the 2 1/2 lb ball piens will work.  Small hammers do not have enough mass.

Here's how.

-Remove the cotter pin
-Loosen the castle nut, but do not remove it, it prevents things from flying
and protects the threads from errant hammer blows.
-Place the drilling hammer on the back side of the knuckle where the taper
goes through.
-Strike the side opposite the drilling hammer.  Don't be shy with the hammer
blows, it's a strong casting.
-The drilling hammer will bounce from the force, so make sure it's still in
place each swing of the ball pien.
-The concussion usually pops it loose after a few good blows.

And yes it works on tie rods too!

Bob Winslade
1966-1600 Missy
1967-1600 Bender