Re: [Roadsters] Bent center link - what metal to fabricate a

To: nmleeds@mindspring.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Bent center link - what metal to fabricate a
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:57:22 EDT
In a message dated 10/25/2007 11:54:41 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
nmleeds@mindspring.com writes:

All,

I was getting my alignment done and noticed that my  stearing centerlink was
bent (wicked turns I guess). The balls are in great  shape so I figured I'd
just fabricate a new centerlink. Natually, I went to a  local construction site
and made off with some rebar -- I figured that nobody  at the new suspension
bridge would notice if there was 15" less  reinforcement.

After a little time with a hacksaw I was ready to  go. But then my partner in
datsun pointed out that rebar isn't the world's  strongest material, it
wasn't taking my threads, and was pretty rust prone. I  suggested plastic for
its
dampening properties -- he laughed at me and made me  feel pretty stupid about
the whole thing.

Now the question is what  metal to use? Ideas? 304, 416, 316? Gold? Titanium?
Bubble  gum?

How about a good used one? You need to be careful getting creative with
steering bits.

keith