[Roadsters] Bent center link - what metal to fabricate a

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Bent center link - what metal to fabricate a
From: nmleeds@mindspring.com
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:53:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
All,

I was getting my alignment done and noticed that my stearing centerlink was
bent (wicked turns I guess). The balls are in great shape so I figured I'd just
fabricate a new centerlink. Natually, I went to a local construction site and
made off with some rebar -- I figured that nobody at the new suspension bridge
would notice if there was 15" less reinforcement.

After a little time with a hacksaw I was ready to go. But then my partner in
datsun pointed out that rebar isn't the world's strongest material, it wasn't
taking my threads, and was pretty rust prone. I suggested plastic for its
dampening properties -- he laughed at me and made me feel pretty stupid about
the whole thing.

Now the question is what metal to use? Ideas? 304, 416, 316? Gold? Titanium?
Bubble gum?