Re: [Roadsters] datsun wiring - high/low

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] datsun wiring - high/low
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:17:25 -0700
Concerning the high beam relay, it was written:
> You can connect the headlight wires to the relay so that high beam
> is either away from you, or toward you, depending on what you prefer.
> (I can't remember which way is correct.)

Likely, pushed forward is high beam, pulled back is low.

Also, as I recall the relay energizes (on) for low and de-energizes
(off) for high. Two interesting points here:

1) At about 4-6k rpm, the vibration causes some relays to start
'floating', so if high beams are on, they flicker and go out. Pretty
common problem. Switch to low beam and the energized relay
will give you stable (but low beam) lights.

2) On some models, the hi/low activation power comes from
as I recall the parking light circuit (I'd have to look at the diagram).
Anyways, if your headlight switch is flaky (not that a 40 year old
switches would get flaky) and powers up the headlights but nor parking/
dash lights, you'll find yourself stuck with high beams only...

-- John