Re: [Roadsters] Overheating question

To: Matthew Cox <oscilloscope500@yahoo.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Overheating question
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 04:28:23 -0700 (PDT)
I believe you probably do have a leaky head gasket,
BUT try all the "easy" stuff first, like a new
thermostat, check for any leaks in the system,
pressure cap, radiator rodding, you know - the ususl
suspects.  I went thru all this several years ago with
my '66 1600, and there was no real indication of a
blown head gasket (I did not do a leak down test
though - which should be early in the list of "easy"
stuff).  When I finally replaced my head gasket the
problem was gone.  BTW, mine is an iron head (early)
1600 and the head was straight and did not require any
re-surfacing.  An Aluminum head will likely be a
little warped.  While you have it apart, remove and
replace your freeze plugs, and get into the block with
a gun cleaning kit to make sure there ane no
obstructions there. Flush everything good, both ways.
Pretty easy to do once you have removed everything to
get at the head.  Take the head to a good machine shop
and do a valve job if necesasary, and many more years
of happy motoring!  1600's are pretty bullet-proof.

Mike SC
'66 1600 (Jessie)