[Roadsters] Overheating question

To: roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Overheating question
From: Matthew Cox <oscilloscope500@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 20:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
Hey guys!  Quick question for you all.  My car has rapidly overheated (in 3-4
minutes) the past couple of times I have driven it. The temp gauge shoots up to
about 220 and then I shut it off because, well... I don't want to ruin it.

  I'm trying to track down the source. Water/Antifreeze is full and looks green
and clean (no froth). Oil level is good. I pulled the top hose off of the
radiator and ran the car up to 200 degrees at which point the thermostat opened
and water came out. That's pretty much it. From what I've done I assume that
the thermostat and water pump work (although 200 degrees is high for it to open
I think).

  Where should I look next? I have been planning on adding a core to the
radiator, so I can do this, but I know that this isn't the source of this rapid
overhating. Could the radiator be plugged somehow? Is there anything else I
should look for? I know that these are pretty simple systems, so it could only
be so many things...

  Thanks for the help!

  Matthew...

  Oh... one last thing. I think the oil circulation is fine, because the oil on
the dipstick changes (level and splash) when I start it and seems to be moving
around in there, but when I opened the oil filler cap and looked in there and
it didn't look terribly wet. Should I see oil flying around in there or is this
normal.  No, I STILL don't have an oil gauge attached...
http://mail.yahoo.com