Re: [Roadsters] Datsuns - Roadsters and 510's - The lack of.

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Datsuns - Roadsters and 510's - The lack of.
From: "Joe Russo" <jrusso07@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:37:56 -0400
"I did not see a single 510 on the road,
and only saw four early Z's.
Is this the norm in the USA?"

Hello Dave and list

Here in western NY Dattos are even rarer on the road - due to the long snowy
winters and the road salt. We don't even have any vendors around - that I
know of anyway. First time I saw a roadster on the road was at the Glen this
year.  It was great fun to drive the wine route with three other roadsters.

I drive my cars regularly on road tours, to work, out to dinner, to nowhere,
just for the fun of it...Hardtops for the cold days, topless roadsters for
the sunny and warm ones.

I restored my 71 510 last winter so I drive her in a regular rotation with
my other Datsuns. They are all "daily drivers".  I have yet to see another
510 on the road or even parked or junked or under restoration. Occasionally,
I will spot a Z car on the road - but not often. I had a little girl walk by
me as I parked the 510 at a store and remark to her mom - "What an ugly
car!" LOL.

Most people around here don't even recognize Datsuns - unless they drove one
in the past.  The first time I drove the 510 to the grocery store a lady
stopped her car and said "Oh my God is that a Datsun 510?  I had one just
like it in college." (Smiles all around)

I do find that many 510 parts are still available from retail auto parts
stores - not quite to the level of Z cars but certainly better than
roadsters.

Keep 'em on the road!

Joe
70 SPL311 (U20)