RE: 37 Years Since Last Fired...

To: "'Autox \(E-mail\)'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 37 Years Since Last Fired...
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:32:04 +1030
37 years between strokes, sounds like, oh well, never mind.
Honestly, I wouldn't expect an engine to function (normally) after such a
lengthy hiatus.
If it did run, I would consder that a novelty, and a very short one at that.
I would suggest a teadown to at least inpect all the rotating bits and the
up and down bits in the head.
That will give you the opportunity to inspect the bores for rust pits etc.
Likewise, removing the sump, a reasonably easy process, will give you access
to its business end.
Give it a good clean up so you can be confident that the crank is just
rotating, not trying to process mice, refuse and such.
I'm guessing the leakdown test, normally an excellent diagnostic process,
will come up awful.

 Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 Datsun Sports