37 Years Since Last Fired...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 37 Years Since Last Fired...
From: "Jonathan B Sibray" <jsibray@unm.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:21:31 -0700
Hi-

I recently purchased a 1600 engine that has less than 1000
miles on it, but it hasn't run since 1969.  I pulled the
water pump and discovered a pile of rust/debris filling
roughly half the water passage.  This worried me a bit and
prompted further investigation of what I naively thought
would be a simple bolt-in.  I pulled the plugs and shot
some 5/30 in the cylinders so I could check compression.
 It's less than 5 PSI in all 4 cylinders.  I manually spun
my old engine and it registered 70 PSI w/o oil (and I
thought this was the bad one.)

I'd appreciate any thoughts, miracle cures, or ways to
avoid (at least partially) the rebuild that's sitting in
my garage where my wife's car is usually parked.

Thanks for your time,

Jon Sibray
68 SPL311 "Scooter"
67 Mercedes Heckflosse Diesel "Grumbly"