RE: OT - Hawaii owners - Z car

To: "'Hall, Phillip B. \(MSFC-ED03\)'" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov>,
Subject: RE: OT - Hawaii owners - Z car
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:04:31 -0800
Aloha!

Interesting they'll ship the car -AFTER- transferring. Normally, auto
shipments need to be set up by the prior to transfer.

Dave is on the Big Island (aka Hawai'i); I'm guessing Nick is stationed at
one of the bases on O'ahu. Lotsa water between 'em. <g>

You can drive around O'ahu in about 3 hours, depending on traffic. Also,
depending on traffic, you'll rarely hit 60mph. There's an interstate highway
-- in name. Maybe when they finish the tunnel to California, hehehehehe. My
point is that it's mostly slow 'n' go.

I don't remember any special restrictions, but you do have to get inspected
every year. And all your paperwork better be straight.

"..burns tires in three gears..." Oh, the locals will love that, but HPD
(Honolulu Police Department) will not.

Rust...rust...and rust. A number of companies make a nice living
rust-proofing cars. This includes drilling holes to get insides panels, body
parts, frame parts, etc. You're talking the tropics -- car will disappear,
which is why you see so many rust-eaten beaters around...and few cars over
ten years old. It's one reason we gave away our '69 510 wagon
(yeah...dumb...dumb...dumb) before returning to the Mainland in '89. Anyway,
if you can have a quality job done before shipping, it might be cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Pete "missing Hawaiian sunshine 'n' surf"
HI resident 1977-89