RE: Turbo KA later? HORSEPOWER!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Turbo KA later? HORSEPOWER!
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:13:22 -0500
Hi Guys and Gals,
Since SERIOUS horsepower has been brought up (700? OUCH!), I have a question
(hypothetical at this point). How much horsepower would it take to make a
Roadster drift car? What are folks opinions about the best way to get to
that number? Do you gear up or down the rear end? How low? Use a 4 speed, 5
speed or auto? (guess I have some research to do! LOL!)

I was watching the NOPI drift competition on Speed channel last night and
thought it looked like a HELL of a lot of fun. Easier to pick up a Honda...
strip it of weight... and turbo/blow the crap out of it? I doubt Loreli will
give up her portion of my paycheck for that kinda project. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Matt Smith and Tater the wonder puppy

And of course Loreli (she's a 70' Silver Solex SRL311)

Subject: Re: Turbo KA later?

How much power do you really want to make?  With huge laggy turbos some ka's
make over 700 horsepower.  With more streetable setup you can easily get 300
horses and not even take the valve cover off.  I wouldn't worry about
building the motor unless you are making a drag motor.  The KA is built like
an anvil and you really have to wail on it to break something.  Most of the
ring land problems can be traced to punk kids carnking up the boost with no
fuel management.  Ring lands break from detonation which can be avioded with
good fuel and ignition management and a good intercooler.  Check out this
thread:
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6263
They don't think you should replace the pistons until after 350 horses at
the rear wheels.

>Hi guys,
>
>     In contemplating a KA swap I 've heard thru the grapevine that ring
lands are weakpoints in the KA when going turbo. That it's better to build
the motor first. Any thoughts as to the validity of that statement? I would
like to drive an N/A KA for awhile until I get used to the power then add
turbo.