RE: re-arching leaf springs

To: <gregs672liter@netzero.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: re-arching leaf springs
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:07:01 -0500
I've inquired about this with Nashville Spring Service (nashvillespring.com)
I didn't get an actual quote, but I've only called. They told me they'd give
an actual quote once they see the springs, but suggested that it would be
approx 35 - 50 range also, depending on what needed to be done (clamps,
cleaning, blasting, etc).

Also, a spring shop should be able to give you other options, such as
replacing some of the leaves with newer materials which may add to the life
of the arc. I hadn't heard that the life of the re-arc was that short
(months?), and wouldn't expect that to be the case, especially with the comp
springs.

Oh yeah, the vendors carry em ranging from about 300 - 500 depending on what
you need. Over 20 years, they'd more than pay for themselves in re-arcing
costs (not to mention time spent taking the things off and putting em back
on every few months/years).

Matt Smith and Tater the wonder puppy

And of course Loreli (she's a 70' Silver Solex SRL311)

Subject: re-arching leaf springs

Greetings list.  I recall this being kicked around several months back.  I
have decided to look into having my 25yr old comp springs re-arched, as they
sag a bit.  I called the local spring shop and he indicated that he had done
few over the years (5 or 6) but in his experience Japanese cars of that era
generally do not hold the re-arch for long... a couple months to a couple
years.  I'm looking at $35-50 per spring, which seemed reasonable.  Anyone
have any experience? If I wanted to raise the tail an inch (back to comp
height I would imagine) what other options do I have?
Thanks!
Greg Burrows
67 2000 #588