Re: New to list with a question about latter year steering

To: Bikerjaxrk@aol.com
Subject: Re: New to list with a question about latter year steering
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 08:44:13 -0600
Jackson,

Welcome to the list. You will find quite a bit of knowledge here.

As for the steering boxes, the pre-69 are worm and peg boxes, which wear
fairly badly. The later boxes are recirculating ball boxes, which are
closer to modern design and last much longer. I have a 67.5 1600 that I
plan to convert to the later box. I have most of the parts, only missing
the ignition switch, steering U- joint, and a couple other small items.

There is a write up on www.311s.org on how to do the conversion.

Now, as to whether to do it or not. If you want to keep a car as stock
as possible, and don't drive it much, I would not do the conversion. If
the car is driven quite a bit (mine is my daily driver), I would do the
conversion. A side benefit of the conversion is that you get rid of the
early one piece steering shaft in exchange for the collapsible shaft. I
really don't like the idea of a spear sitting there, pointed at my
chest, just waiting for something to push it towards me!

Good luck with your restorations!

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Bikerjaxrk@aol.com:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001