RE: O/T '66 mustang 289 rebuild question

To: vociferouschicanery@yahoo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: O/T '66 mustang 289 rebuild question
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 06:14:05 -0500
Steve,
I usually pre-oil the motor by cranking it over with the starter motor,
without spark plugs in.  This in theory is more damaging to a dry motor, but
you would not have to worry about the distributor shaft!

Seriously, I would not  take a risk with having any possibility of faulty
oil pump drive, so I would pull the oil pan, the oil pump, and inspect and
correctly assemble all the parts.  I dont remember if that little shaft
should have a pin or a keeper of some kind, or if you cannot get it in just
because of some kind of slight mis-match.  Have you tried jiggleing the
crank pully back and forth while you try to get the shaft to drop back down?
  IMHO opinion you should still drop the pan though.

Roadster content:  My roadster is snug for the winter in the back shop under
its cover, with the battery out...but yesterday it was 70 degrees here!!!
Is global warming real?  Perhaps I should enjoy January Roadstering before
the ice caps melt and flood out my part of Virginia!

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia
67 pushrod 2L 5spd "SAKE RKT"