I think I need help with my carbs part #2

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: I think I need help with my carbs part #2
From: "Brucciani, Chris" <CBrucciani@archinsurance.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:19:01 -0400
Well, the responses have been universal in narrowing the search to a
fuel flow problem.  I took out the fuel sender and with a flashlight
peered into the tank to look for crud and it looks good.  I coated the
tank with the Eastwood kit a few years back and it seems to be holding
up well.  Took apart the carb float bowl and indeed the # 2 carb is dry.
I took some of the shims out of the fuel jet because there were like 8
shims in there.  Thought that might be the culprit.  Nope.   Went back
and forth a few times playing with the floats and nothing.  Went back to
basics and simply unhooked the fuel line from the carbs to check flow.
Little to nothing flowing through there although my "bullet" style clear
glass fuel filter seemed to have gas in it at all times, I think that
this is deceiving and I may ditch the clear glass filter.  I blew threw
the fuel lines and they are clear - as they should be since I replaced
all the metal lines when I cleaned the tank.  I checked the flow of my
electric pump and it works well when sucking gas out of a gas can into a
bottle. It is new and seems to be in good working order.

So at this point I am pretty sure that if I can get fuel to the carbs I
will be ok. It could be that the fuel pickup tube (the bigger nut of the
two fuel tank lines goes to the fuel pickup tube right?) in the gas tank
is sufficiently narrowed from the Eastwood coating that it is of
insufficient size to get the flow rate that I need, or hopefully it is
just that the system is not completely airtight due to the fact that I
have rubber hose joining the hard metal fuel line in a few spots and the
seal may not be up to snuff. Currently my fuel lines go in this order -
hard line out from tank to short rubber line to long hard line up frame
rail to rubber line under the battery to fuel filter and then over to
the carbs. The return is similar - rubber hose off the back (starving)
carb, to hard line through the frame rail short rubber hose to hard line
into the tank.  So I am going to try and go through things tonight and
seal things up with better hose fitment and maybe some gasket goo where
the hose join the metal lines.

Thanks for all of the responses and I will let you know how things turn
out.  Hope to get it to the Mitty with new brakes later this week.
Questions later on that.

Chris Brucciani
Marietta, GA
1968 2000 "Pinky"
1973 240Z

Check out Arch's new and improved "Fresh.Thinking." website at
www.archinsurance.com

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and
confidential information and is intended only for the use of the individual
and/or entity identified in the alias address of this message. If the reader
responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby requested
not to distribute or copy this communication. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or return
e-mail and delete the original message from your system.