Re: 'T' line in Solex intake manifold

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 'T' line in Solex intake manifold
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:16:15 -0700
<<Nissan designed the plumbing this way for a reason - specifically,
to most efficiently regulate the intake manifold temperature. By
changing the routing of the plumbing, you will change the effect that
turning the heater on/off will have on the overall operation.

If Nissan could have saved two feet of heater hose on every car simply
by repositioning the 'T' fitting, chances are they would have... >>

I am with John on this one.  If you garage your car, and the garage
stays warm, or you only use it in warm weather, this might be viable.
The amount of coughing, spitting, re-starting, running at wrong mixture
that will happen during start-up/warm-up/driving in cold weather,
waiting for the manifold to heat up, is going to wear other things
(engine mounts, battery, etc) more than you really want.
John is right in the "they woulda saved the parts if they didn't have
good reason" mantra, and Vacaville gets pretty chilly.  I removed the
heater, but looped the intake manifold heat circuit to keep the heating
function. I don't think anyone at Nissan way back when thought it was a
good idea that as you went from stop-go driving to open road you
Air-Fuel ratio changed, which (correct me if I am wrong) will happen as
the same dose of air, but denser air, enters your carbs.  Just my novice
opinion.  Fergus O, 69 2000 hibernating with intermittent blinkers...,
HB, CA