Odd electrical issue yesterday

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Odd electrical issue yesterday
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 01:13:33 -0500
I know, I know. All these lovely lil cars have "odd" electrical issues. This
one stumped me for a little while. Stuck at work in the parking garage after
most everyone else had left. No cash to take the bus home. (of course,
Loreli gets it all!)

Driving to work yesterday, just the light side of dawn. I had my headlights
on as I always do when the car's on the road. Noticed my headlights were
EXTREMELY bright. Couple bumps later, they seemed to normalize. When I
parked at work I found that my driver side headlight was off. Shut the car
down and went to work.

Came back out and the car was dead. Fuses ok, battery had spark. Began
playin with stuff cuz I'm no electrical genius. I traced all wires I could
find and didn't find any glaringly burned up wires. (There's a surprisingly
large number of wires that don't go anywhere. I'd love to find out where
these are SUPPOSED to go). Then I climbed into that incredibly small area
between the floor and the steering wheel. Pulled the plug from the back of
the ignition and pushed it back in a few times. Still no go.

I then found a splice in a large guage red and white wire that came from
approx the ignition and headed thru the firewall. Lost it at this point.
That splice dropped a bunch of green junk onto my face. YUCK. Oddly, I
reached up and turned the key. Silly girl fired right up..

Anyone know how that white and red wire, the headlights, and my being stuck
at work are related??

ONE MORE! I bought some of those bright 'a**' white headlights from ebay
yesterday. The ones with the glow thingies around the bulb. Anyone have
anything good or bad to say about those? They should be here tomorrow.
Should I go get another 7" Hella bulb and leave those in the closet?

See Y'all at MITTY!!!!

Matt Smith

And LORELI (70' 2000 Solex)