Re: axle replacement

To: RacerY@comcast.net, todd.snyder@gastechnology.org
Subject: Re: axle replacement
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:57:56 -0700
Todd> I have a rear wheel wobble that I believe is due to a bent axle.
(I assume the PO hit too large a pot hole.)

Toby> that would take one heck of a pothole... I've never heard of a
bent one... so far.

I've got one :-)

My wife was following me shortly after buying the 2L and she asked
why the rear wheel seemed to be wobbling... I pulled the wheel and
used a machinist's runout gauge on the axle flange. Sure enough, it
was bent...

It appears that at some point 'something' went wrong with the bearing
and things got really, really hot. The flange that the axle/bearing slides
into (on the end of the axle tube) is blue'd from the heat. Best I can
tell, the bearing went south and must have absolutely cooked the axle,
which then took on just a bit of a wobble.

-- John