RE: Starting a long dead Datsun

To: James Fogg <James@jdfogg.com>, geegc@aol.com,
Subject: RE: Starting a long dead Datsun
From: Dan Zubkoff <zubkoff@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:21:25 -0700 (PDT)
Since it had been a running car, I'd do the following:

1) Make sure the battery is completely charged up, or
even purchase a new battery for the car.

2) Add some new fuel to the tank (you already did
that)

3) Remove the air filter and spray some Carb Starter
Fluid into the "horn" looking sections within the air
filter. Don't use too much, as James mentioned it is
highly flammable.

4) Once you spray the Carb Starter Fluid, quickly hop
in the car and try starting her. She will probably
start, but only run for 2 to 3 seconds (until the carb
starter fuel is used up, or evaporates). Try this
several times...

Eventually, the cranking of the engine will start to
build the fuel pressure back up in the system. Once
the pressure is back up and fuel is again flowing to
the carbs, you should be able to run long enough to
load her onto a trailer.

Dan Zubkoff
San Mateo, CA