FW: Building an engine?

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Building an engine?
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 22:58:42 -0700
Another way to do this would be to clay the pistons. This is usually done to
check valve-to-piston clearance, but it could also work for the rest of the
chamber area.

Basically you put a thin layer of modeling clay on the top of the piston,
bolt the head on with a head gasket, then turn the engine over a couple of
times. Pull the head and measure the thickness of the clay at various
points. You can then grind away on those areas of the combustion chambers
where the clearance is too close.

The advantage of this approach is that you can get a reading on a large area
of the combustion chamber at once. The disadvantage is that you don't get
the arm development.  ;-)

But if you want to use the "no head gasket/contact" approach, using some
machinist's dye (sometimes called "Prussian Blue") will give you a clearer
image than an oil film.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA