2nd Drive!

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2nd Drive!
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 01:43:34 -0700
2nd Drive!!!

First drive was a bomb.

However, for the 2nd drive I seem to have fixed my oil leaks and bolted
everything down. I guess that oil in the rad was just leftover crap from the
assembly stage, 'cause none has shown up since!

Loosened the throttle cable a tad and the idle is stabilizing between 1000 and
1200 rpm. Runs smoother as I put the miles on.

It runs GREAT!! I burned up 2/3 of a tank of gas today running it all over the
place and am VERY HAPPY with the performance! I didn't run it hard, and only
up to about 4500 rpm, but it pulled very strongly from about 1800 to 4500.

Would cruise along quite comfortably at ~2000 rpm in 5th @45-50 mph (short
periods, checking how she runs)!

Lots of torque, easily spins the wheels on a fast corner.

'Course the blown muffler made it quite loud and nasty sounding (backfire last
week! ) but she runs fantastic!!

I still need to adjust the valves and carbs again, and button up a couple
other items, but I am really happy with the way it runs. If you guys with the
2L (strokers & U20's) engines have more power than this you've got to be some
happy campers!!!

It is a real pleasure to drive now and I can't wait till the next time I get
to take it out!

Thanks to everyone here for all the advice and information, I couldn't have
done it without you!!

Daryl Smith
'66 R16 block/G15 Crankshaft 1800cc @ ~9.3:1 compression. Ford EDIS ignition,
'84 Diesel P/U bellhousing on '92 240SX 5 spd.