'69 2L, blinker woes / strange events

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: '69 2L, blinker woes / strange events
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:55:17 -0700
Blinker woes (lots of blown fuses) and strange events.  I'll try to
describe in brief.
Background info:
Center console removed.  Hazard switch operable but floating on a wire
tie.  Thought my blinkers were getting tired, so I replaced them with
the standard 12V, two pole blinker from Pep Boys, which seems to work
just as my old ones did.

So now the strange stuff.  This all started because the fuses were
blowing (either tail lamp or flasher, both 10A, within 3 minutes of
activating switch) and I noticed the tail lites were on all the time.
First, checked the grounds in the trunk.  Found a frayed wire, solid
green, just hanging with no connection, that I grounded to the tailite
bezel screw.  All other connections to both lite buckets seems to be as
normal, not corroded or out of place.
So, finally, I realize that my brake plunger is functioning, but no
longer being depressed by the rubber mount.  When I remove the switch
and let it hang in the air, I re-do all the check outs of when lites are
working, and get the list below.

headlites off:  all blinkers work fine.
headlites on, brake lites off:  left blinker turns on, but no blink.  Rt
blinker works ok.
headlites on, brake lites on:  left blinker switch activation makes it
go dim, but not blink.  Rt activates blinker properly.

But, then I reach for the key to turn the car off, and nothing happens,
it doesn't turn off.  Just by chance I reach over and depress the brake
plunger (meaning lites go off) and the engine stops.   !!!!!  (remember,
brake switch is hanging, so no longer grounded)
I have noticed that wires coming out of the brake switch do the
following:
(2) black wires come out of plunger switch, both are bullet connected to
green/yellow wires, one of which is "hand" spliced thru the use of a
in-line connector to a black/white wire which goes up above the steering
column before I lose trace of it.  The black/white splice has a second
slip-on connector hanging off it.  (probably due to center console
removal, but not positive)  The other green/yellow coils over towards
the enter console/S-brake lite area.

Strange?  Am I just too electrically stupid to see the obvious?  Have I
lost all "sympathetic resonance" with my car? (sorry, recently used
catchy but completely un-related phrase)

Eugene O'ElectronChallenged, 69 2L, HB, CA
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.