Re: frozen nut on hub assembly

To: Jim Sylvester <jsylvester3136@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: frozen nut on hub assembly
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:11:04 -0600
> Jim Sylvester

> The four bolts that hold the hub assembly to the disk brake rotor are simply
> too frozen to move.  I've soaked everything with 3-in-1 oil and pounded and
> pounded to no avail other than to begin to round the end of the bolts.  To
> make matters worth, I'm having to work with the open end of the wrench
> because - unlike the passenger side - on the drivers side hub assembly I
> can't get the box end of the wrench over the end of the bolt.
>
> Any ideas?  I'm afraid if I keep pounding with the open end of the wrench
> I'll just finish rounding the ends of the bolts and REALLY be sunk.

Jim,

First, you should be using penetrating oil, like PB Blaster or Liquid
Wrench, rather than a lubricant, which is what 3 in 1 is. Soak the bolt
area, let it sit overnight, maybe repeat a couple of times. CAREFULLY
heating the bolt with a propane torch can help, too, if it can be done
safely.

I haven't  dug around on that part of my roadster but if you can't get a six
point, not 12 point, box end on it, you might see if you can get a skinnier
6 point box end from a Snap-On dealer. Yes, I know they aren't cheap, but if
it works, how much is getting it off in a timely manner without messing the
bolt head up worth? I sometimes find myself trying to force something to
work when simply starting again with a different approach will complete the
job much quicker.

Having said that I'll take a look at my car later and see if I can offer any
suggestions. Others should have jumped in by then. Too.

FWIW,
Ron