Steering box (grease?)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering box (grease?)
From: "Hoaglan, Dean C" <dean.hoaglan@honeywell.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:18:24 -0700
All,

I've pulled all the front suspension and steering gear off of my '66 and I'm
starting to sort through it and clean it
up.  I opened up the steering box yesterday hoping to find at least some 90wt
but it was dry.  Looking inside, and on
the plastic cap, there is a thick sludge that could be grease but I wonder if
it is gear oil that has reduced and
congealed somehow, is that possible?  The gears turn free and smooth on the
bench. There is about 1 or 2 minutes
(compared to a clock face) of play on the input side.  I'll have to put oil in
it to see how bad it leaks- I'm guessing
it does.  Does it sound usable? Is there anything else I can or should check?

Thanks in advance

Dean Hoaglan
'66
Bothell, WA