Re: License plate - protective sealant/spray?

To: "'Datsun roadster list'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: License plate - protective sealant/spray?
From: E Scanlon <escanlon@worldaccessnet.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:43:18 -0800
Leonard Sprague wrote:

> SNIP... the back of the license plate is already starting to rust a little. It
> has no protective
> sealant or rust resistant paint like the new plates have. I'm worried that if
> I don't take corrective action, the plate will completely rust within a few
> years.
>
> What can I do? Can I carefully clean (maybe sand) the small spots where it
> has started to rust and then spray it with something to help protect it?
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Depends on your intent.

If it is to maintain the back of the plate ORIGINAL, then primer and paint are
out.  The only thin you can look for is some sort of clear protectant.

The simplest is a coating of oil or light grease.  Problem is that over time it
will accumulate grunge.

If you look carefully in either a Hobby Store, or a Craft Store, you should be
able to find a can of Plasti-Dip's Clear Plastic Spray.  This works fairly well
but over time can peel.  This product is actually a form of flexible plastic.
It can yellow over time.  The product stays flexible over a long period of time.

A different product is "Varithane"  if I recall the name properly, but it is a
Clear Shellac.  Again in a spray can.  I haven't seen it here in the northwest,
but if I recall right it is a white label with red script lettering.  That will
protect for a longer period of time than the clear spray but when it finally
ages will shatter like glass if struck.

Hope this helps
Enrique