License plate - protective sealant/spray?

To: "'Datsun roadster list'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: License plate - protective sealant/spray?
From: "Leonard Sprague" <sprague@ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:03:41 -0500
List,

The state of Florida allows you to re-register vintage license plates for
the year of your vehicle. About 3 years ago I found a plate in like new
condition with no rust, sent it to state of Florida, and it was reissued
back to me.

Here's a picture:

        http://rabbit.circa.ufl.edu/gallery/vg30/aah

Recently, I received this year's registration sticker in the mail from the
DMV and took the plate off the car to clean it. I noticed that the back of
the license plate is already starting to rust a little. It has no protective
sealant or rust resistant paint like the new plates have. I'm worried that
if I don't take corrective action, the plate will completely rust within a
few years.

What can I do? Can I carefully clean (maybe sand) the small spots where it
has started to rust and then spray it with something to help protect it?

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

-Lenny
'69 SPL311/VG30
http://rabbit.circa.ufl.edu/gallery/roadster