Re: Peristroika now Trabant

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Peristroika now Trabant
From: hallosb@juno.com
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 06:50:47 -0700
I work with some guys from Bremen, Germany.  They told me that when the
wall came down and there was a mass exodus from East Germany, broken down
Trabi's were abandoned all over Northern Germany.  Vandals began lighting
them on fire.

I still see them occasionally on my trips to Germany, which surprises me.
 German car inspections (TUV) are notoriously strict.

Dan McHatton
'66 1600

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:49:53 +0100 (CET) "Thomas - Sweden"
<csp311@telia.com> writes:
> They were made from "Duroplast" a strange polyester resin with cotton
fibers. It soaked up water and cracked in the winter. It's difficult
> to recycle. I know of a Gas station in Sweden that have a blue Trabant
601 on the roof with the script "KING OF THE ROAD" on the side.

http://digilander.libero.it/cuoccimix/ENGLISH-automotorusse9-I(Trabant).h
tm