Question about A/F ratio meter or Exhaust temp gauge

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Question about A/F ratio meter or Exhaust temp gauge
From: "Karl Shepard" <karls@structured.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:26:55 -0800
I want to retuune my carbs and would like to be able to do this myself on my
full race 1966 Datsun 1600. This past year at Baxter's historics I ran fairly
well on the qualifying session and was looking forward to the race on Sunday.
On Sunday, I got lots of advice on tuning from Datsun enthusiasts and conceeded
to letting one adjust my carbs (it was much hotter and the idle was rougher
than Saturday) with the result that I was slower on race day by two seconds on
the two-mile PIR track.  I had a good time but I think the car can do better.

Which is better for tuning, EGT or AFR?

Problem 2. I run a Mallory pointless ignition built into the original
distributer housing and have an electric fuel pump - not that that makes any
difference but on an added note I get gasoline  streaming to the floor until
the car starts in my garage.  I have turned the fuel pump down so it sits at
3.5-4 pounds of pressure but I notice that when I blip the throttle once it is
started that the fuel pressure creeps up to 5.  Do I need to turn it down more
or are the floats stuck or what?

Also the car was originally set up in Denver.  The needles that are in it let
is barely sip gas as Denver has no air at a mile high.  I need to rejet and
reneedle it and I am a bit unsure as how to proceed.  But this is winter and I
have time to learn.   Any help would be appreciated.  By the way, I am in
Hillsboro, Oregon.  Any local enthusiasts can look me up in the phone book if
they want.   I am a quick study, but I need to see something done once so I can
do it therafter.

Karl Shepard
1966 Rising Sun Datsun 1600