Re: Possible Fuel Tank Problems - clean the fuel pump too

To: rossto@yahoo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Possible Fuel Tank Problems - clean the fuel pump too
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:15:41 EST
I had a problem w/ gunk in the fuel tank.... one thing you'll want to do also
if you are still running the stock mechanical fuel pump (as opposed to an
add-onn electric) Is take the fuel pump apart (easily done... ring of little
screws) and check for ick buildup on the diaphragm.  I've been on the road and
had
to perform this operation several times to get things going again.  I also
installed an additional in-line glass fuel filter that could be easily
cleaned/inspected. Caution - you do want to be careful about these filters as
over-tightening can make them break. They can be quite a fragile weak-link in
the
system - but can be a quick way to monitor just what kind of crap is running
through the lines.  You may find that running the tank dry will clean out the
garbage and not need to persue it futher. Again, the pump thing may not a
permanent
fix, but one way to keep things going until you can get the tank boiled out.

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC
Chandler, AZ