Re: cooling system

To: "datsun_sports" <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: cooling system
From: Neil Levine <nalevine@dcn.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:33:15 -0700
Mike,

I've been trying to fix this problem recently with my '66 running hotter
than it used to. This seems to have started when I had a new exhaust system
put on about a year ago. The old exhaust system was pretty much rusted out
and probably did not offer much back pressure. The new system must be more
restrictive and am guessing the heat can't get out as easily as before,
putting a bigger load on the cooling system. So far I've flushed the
radiator (took it out of the car and backflushed it really well), flushed
the block, installed a new thermostat, a new fan belt in case the water
pump pulley was slipping and haven't seen much difference. The next step
would be to bring the radiator in and have it looked at to see if it needs
rodding and perhaps have another row installed to increase its cooling
capacity which I hope would give it the capacity to take care of the
running hot problem. Right now I've got the standard 2 row radiator in the car.

Neil Levine
'66 1600 SPL311-06576