Re: Seat Belts or harnesses

To: Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat Belts or harnesses
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:33:13 -0600 (CST)
I use a five point in my autocross car.  Autocross does not have any threat of
crashing.  I use the submarine belt to hold the lapbelt and shoulder belts
tight across my torso.  The roadster is not well suited for installation of
four point harnesses because the seat is so close to the floor.  To get the lap
belts installed properly they have to be attached way far back near the package
shelf.  This causes the belt to ride up across my belly and the shoulder
harness just sulls it up more.  I use 3/16" backing plates at the floorboard
for the lap belts and submarine belt.  The shoulder harness is attached through
the back of the package shelf and secured to a 3/16" backing plate also.

I had a rear ender three years ago.  I was stopped and the moron in a Hyundai
hit me going 55mph.  Luckily I was in a 7000 lb truck.  It still bent the frame
on my crew cab Chevy and gave me a sore back and neck.  I still get a little
stiff in the back and neck whenever I have to sit or stand for long periods of
time.

I have to brag about the new subwoofer box I built.  I got a new Dodge Crew Cab
Long bed for Christmas.  There wasn't much room for a subwoofer box behind or
under the rear bench seat.  I took the jump seat which sits between the front
bucket seats apart.  I replaced the seat frame and cushion with an MDF box
which matches the shape of the jump seat.  The subwoofer points down and plays
toward the floor of the truck.  The factory seat cover fits over the box
perfectly.  It is completely stealth.  The only drawback is that the "new" seat
is not real comfy to sit on.  I justified the modification by realizing that
hardly ever would anyone be sitting there for any length of time.  I know that
I live in Texas and no respectible cowboy would have his gal sit anywhere but
right beside him on the front seat, but I'm married and lost my respectibility
a long time ago.

Andy Cost
68 Datsun Racer "Tetanus"