Window weather strip problem

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Window weather strip problem
From: rlporter5@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:21:58 -0500
Simple question.new weather strip doesn't fit - want to know if it's the
right one.

I bought some replacement window wipers - the rubber weather strip that
wipes the side windows as they go up and down, for my 69 2000.
Purchased from a small mail order guy in CA that I've bought a fair
amount of rubber roadster parts from - all have fit so far.

If you take the strip and look at it from the end, it looks like a T.
It is about 5/8 in wide - it's 1/16 or so thick on the left side and it
taper to almost nothing on the other side.  This part forms the top of a
T.  The post of the T is actually made up of two parallel runners each
about 1/8 in wide.  One has a decided bulge at the bottom, like the bead
on a bicycle tire so it hooks in the rim when you install it.

My experience says you install the strip so the side of the post of the
T with the bead is pressed into the channel in the top of the door that
is just opposite of the felt strip that is stapled to the door
cap/finishing piece.  This bead does push down and seem to snap into
place.  However, with this done the top of the T, with the thin edge
pointing toward the glass, is so wide it binds on the glass window as it
goes up and down. It actually flips the rubbers strip up so severely it
almost pulls it out of the channel.

So, do I have it in wrong, or is it the wrong strip?

I can email a picture if this list server allows it (tell me how) if I
need to - I know it's a real puzzle to follow the text version unless
you just installed this blooming strip yourself!

Thanks for any help available.

Bob Porter