diff bearings and trans question

To: "Autox \(E-mail\)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: diff bearings and trans question
From: "Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:20:41 -0800
Took a wire wheel to the rear leaf springs today on Pam's car. All rust free
for priming. Getting ready to reassemble the rear end. I'm having a shop put
in the bearings held in place by the pressed-on collar. The bearings in the
pumpkin appear to be held in with bearing caps. Anything I need to look out
for if I decide to replace these myself, and does anyone know the torque on
these bearing caps?

Also, it seems that I am having a little trouble finding third gear when
shifting in my roadster. It's a 4 speed and if I am slow and deliberate, it
slides right into gear. If I try to shift quickly, I miss the mark about a
quarter of the time. It seems as if the return spring for reverse is not as
strong as it used to be and I overthrow the shifter past third. No grinding,
noise or popping out of gear or anything like that, just kinda hard to find
the detent. Could the return spring be going bad and how hard is this booger
to replace?

Thanks in advance

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA