Re: starter hook up

To: datsun_sports <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: starter hook up
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:55:52 -0600 (CST)
Mike,

You state that the two small wires from the harness are connected to a
small terminal on the starter. I don't believe there is an extra terminal
of this type there. The starter solenoid should have 3 connections on it,
two large studs and a 1/4" push on terminal. The large stud farthest from
the starter body is where the positive battery cable and the two wires to
the harness should be connected. The large stud closest to the starter
connects to a very short wire coming out of the starter body. This is the
only wire that should be on that terminal. The push on terminal should
have one small wire on it going into the harness. This terminal is what
causes the starter to be activated.

Ground wires should go from some place on the block (starter mounting bolt
is good) to the frame. The battery ground cable can go to either the
frame, or to the engine. My preference is to the engine because there is
a lot of current flowing through the path between the battery
negative terminal and the starter ground (engine block). The fewer
connections there are in that path the better.

Do you get power to things inside the car? Do the lights work? They should
if things are connected correctly. Try disconnecting the push on
connection on the starter solenoid and running a wire from the push on
terminal on th estarter  to the + battery terminal. Three should be a
small spark and the engine should turn over. Be sure the car is in
neutral! If this works, and you have power to th elights, etc, the problem
is not with the starter connections. There is a small connector about a
foot above the starter which the small starter wires run through to the
harness. This connector can get corroded causing either the car  to not
get electricity, or the stsartr to not crnk when the key is turned. Check
it out and clean the connections.

If that doesn't do the trick please let me know and I will see what else I
can come up with.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA