RE: Who's who?

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Who's who?
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:49:51 -0600
   Where to start.. I've been a Software engineer for 25 yrs or so
(I've only had to subject myself to ONE of those years doing
microsoft!). Previously a piano mover (I don't think they're related.
Maybe because I love to swear and scream at inanimate objects?).
Married 24 yrs. 2 kids, almost grown (to hear them tell it).

   Besides roadstering: I play electric bass and acoustic guitar (hey
Roman, let's jam sometime!) when I can get the grease off my hands :) .
Tried playing pro for a SHORT while when I was single, decided there
wasn't enough money in it.. Software engineering is a great way to pay
bills, car habits, and keep music for fun..

   I can't remember when I got an eye for the roadster. My dad had a
bug-eye Sprite, maybe that started it. Maybe it was back in the late
60's, I saw one - I DO remember wanting a silver one all these years.
Back then (I was in Jr.high) I hung out with my next door neighbor
more than kids my own age... He was a mechnanic for British Motors
(ie: Rolls Royce) in San Francisco. While everyone else was into
muscle cars, he was getting me jazzed about european cars (like the
ones he used to race in europe) - especially the ones he let me ride
in while he test drove! I remember XKE's, a DeThomaso, Aston Martin's
vette's, Mini's (the Rolls' and Bentley's weren't too bad either). I
remember he screamed a lot at my dad for not taking care of his
Hillman. After we moved back to Colorado, my dad picked up a '71
510. I learned to drive in that.
   I guess I got hooked on Datsun's after running thru a bunch of old
Chevy's. Family cars have included (late model) 510's, B210 (yuck),
Pathfinder, Quest, pickups, etc.. Wife had a 240Z when I met her.

   Anyway, the roadster's been a nice fit for my itches; the sports car
thing, top-down was a satisfactory substitute for motorcycling, plus I
love/prefer old cars. My '65 Volvo 122 was the newest car I'd ever
owned (for my personal use) until I got an '80 510. So, I guess my '69
2000 is the 2nd newest car I've ever owned!
   Still own my first roadster - 5 yrs now. I've put about 70,000 miles
on it in 5 yrs. 20,000 were while I was unemployed last year :) . I
just started autocrossing this Fall. That's a MAJOR hoot!
   My Mom's still trying to figure out where I got the itch to do so
much of the mechanical work on my roadster (NOT from my dad, that's
for sure!). I attribute it to the science-mind of my dad (aerospace
engineer), and the time our neighbor in Calif spent getting me into
cars...

   Oh yeah, I'm also the web master for www.wycroc.org, one of the
charter members of WyCROC, and one of the voters that got Jack Davis
his new President of WyCROC title while he was out of town ;) .

dan neff     '69 2000
colorado springs,  co
http://www.wycroc.org