Who's Who

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Who's Who
From: "Donna and Terry Cost" <tcost@hot.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 23:23:48 -0500
My name is Terry Cost.  Next Tuesday I'll be 59 years old, which is slightly
older than my Roadster.  My son Andy drives a 1968 roadster which is older
than he is.  I taught public school in Texas for 28 years.  I am also a
Vietnam vet, and was a Trailways bus driver, an Adjunct Professor of
Mathematics at the local college (big title no money) and an operative for the
Temple Detective Agency.  Next year I will be the President of the Temple
Lions Club, a founder club of Lions International.

I started driving in 1957.  I drove my parents' 1957 Buick Roadmaster, a 1954
Mercury, a 1955 Hillman Husky Station Wagon, a 1961 Metropolitan Convertible,
and a 1959 Thunderbird before I got my first "personal" car, a 1949 Chevrolet
Convertible.  The first car I actually owned outright was a 1961 VW Karmann
Ghia Convertible (notice a pattern here?) with a 2000 cc Okrasa Big Bore kit
and dual downdraft Solex carbs. I kept the Ghia through my Army days and first
teaching job.  My best friend at that time bought a brand new 1967 1600
Roadster that could not be beat on the autocross courses.  I autocrossed the
Karmann Ghia, a Bugeye Sprite, an 850 Mini, an MGB, a 1965 Mustang, a Triumph
TR-4 and a Triumph GT-6 in the old days. I also autocrossed an old Datsun
RL-411 sedan that I decorated with racing stripes and spray paint.  I
remembered the fun we had had with the 1600 and found an old 2000 to set up
for autocrossing in the early 80's.  My wife Donna (36 years) used to
autocross but now just goes with me.  Terry Jr. is interested in cars and
motorcycles, as is Andy.  Andy has sponsorship from a local Fort Worth company
and will autocross a 2000 Roadster in the EP class next year.  We plan to go
to the SCCA Nationals in Topeka and win. When I bought my first Roadster
(Frank) Mike Adams was forming TDROC, and we joined. I've noticed that
Roadster owners come and go.  TDROC is like many of the other clubs in that we
have lots of turnover, and old members are hard to retain.  Too many projects
compete for our limited time, and the Roadsters end up on the bottom of the
"to-do" list.

If you live anywhere near Dallas come out to watch Andy and me autocross on
November 3.  The event is at Pennington Field in Bedford.  We had a TDROC
mini-meet at Texas Motor Speedway a couple of weeks ago, and we can have
another on Nov 3.