Re: OT - fast car!

To: Don Miller <turbospl311@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: OT - fast car!
From: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:26:06 -0700
There is a really nice write up on Z31.com under turbo modifications
done by a guy who went through each option (intake, exhaust, increased
boost, etc etc.) with dyno numbers.  He ended up at 247 rear wheel hp at
12.5 lbs of boost on his '84 300zx with about 100k miles on it, but he
was limited by having to still run only a cat back system.  Our straight
threw exhaust with a turbo style muffler should work well.  He agreed
that the stock computer was good to about 15lbs as I recall, but the
stock injectors maxed out at about 13, so pushing past 12.5 was at one's
own risk, at least according to him.  I will probably run about 10-12
lbs intercooled, depending upon how efficient the intercooler is flow
and cooling wise.  I could keep turning up the boost, but you run the
risk of over tasking your turbo and heat saturating your intercooler,
leading to detonation (i.e. gonna blow up or melt things!).  For anyone
who is interested, Corky Bell wrote a easy to read and very informative
book on turbo charging... a really fun read even if you never do one.  I
can hardly wait to get started!
Greg (I haven't blown it up yet... course, it is just sitting on the
floor right now) Burrows