Re: What parts are still available down the street?

To: Jason Simpson <jason@xio.com>
Subject: Re: What parts are still available down the street?
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:36:40 -0700
Jason,

There are vendors listed on many of the Datsun sites that have the parts you
are looking for.  The bottom end pieces such as bearings, rod bolts, fuel
pump, and I think the water pump, along with the pan gasket are available from
your favorite Nissan forklift dealer.  That's right.  Forklift.  That is where
your engine was derived and the engine is still sold in new models at the
forklift dealer.  Unfortunately you need a forklift parts department that will
actually look up the parts you need, but I think I am in the minority of
having one that is not too willing to do that.  Forklift parts are very low
priced compared to the Nissan automotive dealerships if the parts are
available.

As to the insulators for the carburetors.  Many people make their own from
fiberglas stock.  I don't find his card now, but there is one person who
rebuilds SU carburetors and he makes his own insulators.  You might be able to
order a set from him.  Once you get a decent template they should be very easy
to make with regular hand tools.  A mill would help, but is not absolutely
necessary.

The vendors and eBay have the manifold gaskets.  Other gaskets are available
from the vendors or you can go to the parts house and buy various types of
gasket material.  I have learned that if you can make a bolt hole to put a
bolt in and then start tracing around the piece the gasket mates to with a
sharp pocket knife, keep making holes and inserting bolts to maintain
alignment, you can make gaskets that are very hard to tell from the originals
and fit perfectly.

Tom
69 2000
Portland, Oregon